Thursday, May 5, 2011

Whiskey Barrel Garden




Nate has begged me to get him a strawberry plant. Well we all know I cant just do a strawberry plant! Nate has to experience the whole thing! So I was debating on weather or not to use a bed or containers. Mom came up with this awesome idea of using whiskey barrels. I have never seen them here but sure enough THIS YEAR they actually had them I was pretty shocked. I felt so bad Jamie did all the loading and unloading but what was really crazy is how strong the smell was. It wasnt a bad smell it was actually really good like very sweet red apples with a hint of furmentation HAHA. As Jamie slowly took each one to the back yard one of them was upside down and it had a bunch of burnt lettering in the wood. I read it and to my amazement the barrels came from the Jack Daniel brewery in Tennessee 1996! They were not kidding when they said they use aged barrels in their facilities. Once Jamie and Nate got the soil into the barrels It was time to plant the goodies. All Nate cared about was the strawberries, tomato, and pumpkin. I found it funny he had to wash his hands ANY time he touched the dirt tee hee. We are doing corn which will be moved along the fence line once it sprouts, container cantelope, green beans, romain lettuce, tomatoes, green bell peppers, strawberries, and pumpkins. I will keep ya'll updated on their growing progress

4 comments:

Teresa said...

proud of you Tiff...I just love watching things grow...Looks like you will need 2 more barrals..so that there are 3 on each corner of the patio...! By the way corn does not transplant well... you may want to just seed them buy the fence...:0)

Poppi said...

Little Farmer Nate, just like his Great Grandpa Edwards in Hermiston.

Tiffany said...

yea i have to get nate eating some pop cycles so that we can put them next to them so the weed eater guys to cut them off ha!

Grma Pennie said...

Your next trick is to have him plant a couple of skittles. Then a week or so later the "skittles fairy" (aka mom) partially buries packages of skittles where he planted them. Nate's reaction is sure to be memoriable